Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I measure life by rainy days

I'll measure life of mine by rainy days:

When as I child, water fell
and made soft earth, my heart ablaze
I'd scream and laugh through sweetly smells
of wet concrete and moistured ground.
No happier days are to be found.

And when the sun, obscured by clouds
My adolescent mind did find
a soothing peace in rainy shrouds.
Again does water fall, and it reminds
me of those happy, rainy days.

Then in my teen years, when First Love
was miles, and miles, and miles away
I walked in pouring, drenching storm
Just to hear her voice and to talk of
whatever in our minds did form.

I lost her to another man who broke her heart.
Her birthday dinner, he wouldn't show
she called me crying, while rain and snow
began to fall, and drench and flood the roads.
I took up danger, left with hope
that being there just might restart
that dying flame found in our hearts.

Time did pass, and I did find
another girl, I loved; I loved too great this time.
We watched rain fall, inside the car
While sitting legs and arms entwined.
I gave her more than she deserved,
I gave her all, no distance from her was too far.
Alas, this innocently hope
betrayed me. Soon, I couldn't cope.

And so, as college student, I
Went out in rain to clear my mind.
I had by chance, and with some luck,
obtained green herbs to pack and burn.
And burn they did, while all around
The rain poured, soaking me and flooding ground.

Now bereft of what I loved,
girl, friends, college, green herbs, all the 'bove
The drops of heaven's sweetly tears
caress my face and wash out fears.
For in the mist and wet downpour,
I find some quiet peace of mind.

I measure life by rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment